Yaprak Dolma/Sarma is a well-known Turkish cuisine; usually, grapevine leaves rolled and is filled with minced meat. In addition, this vegan dish has rice filling and is seasoned with lemon, paprika, pepper paste, and fresh parsley.
Filling and rolling vine leaves may be time-consuming. However, you’ll undoubtedly end up with excess quantity that you can even consume for days. So, better to invite guests when you are planning to prepare this meal. Just kidding!!!
On a serious note, you can prepare Yaprak dolma at a friend’s get together at home. Trust me; they’ll love this recipe. Have you ever tried this delicious delight? Do you know how to make it? Probably not.
That’s what has brought you here. Here today, we will help you find out one of the best ways to make Yaprak Dolma for yourself. So, if you want to enjoy this delicious dish, stay tuned to us. Try this recipe by Shahram Kyani to throw a wonderful party at home.
How to Make Yaprak Dolma?
Here is a complete recipe to prepare Yaprak Dolma from the comfort of your home. Let’s look into the ingredients and recipe instructions.
Following is a list of ingredients needed to prepare this recipe.
- Vine leaves (1 package)
- White rice (2 ¾ cups)
- Tomato paste (2 tbsp)
- Pepper paste (1 tbsp)
- Sliced Lemon (1)
- Fresh Parsley
- Paprika powder
- Dried Mint
- Pepper and Salt
- Vegetable Stock Cube (1)
Instructions for Preparing Yaprak Dolma
Follow the instructions given below to prepare delicious Yaprak Dolma
- Take a bowl and rinse some rice in them properly
- Take a cooking pot and heat some olive oil in it. Now add rice in this pan and fry shortly. Add tomato and pepper paste and stir the mixture well. Fry for about one minute.
- Now add the other ingredients such as parsley, paprika powder, pepper, mint, and salt. You can use more than you usually use because the flavor might evaporate during the boiling process. Keep on stirring and take the pan off the heat.
- You have to fill the vine leaves with uncooked rice. Later, cook the rice with vine leave and let the mixture cool down.
- Meanwhile, please take out the vine leaves from the package and carefully and rinse them one by one.
- Boil some water in another cooking pot/saucepan, put the leaves in it (not on the stove), and leave them for about five minutes. Drain
- Now take a large-sized pan and put some olive oil on the bottom. Place some broken vine leaves on the bottom of the pan. This will not allow the Yaprak Dolma to stick on the pan.
- Roll the vine leaves. You can also use the cutting board to put the vine leaves on. Place the pan with vine mixture on one side of the board and a plate with vine leaves on the other side to put Yaprak sarma in.
- Place the vine leave on the cutting board with the veins up. Break the stem off. Then, add a portion of the rice mixture on the bottom of the leaf.
- Take the two lower ends of the leaf and fold them over the rice. Now repeat the same for the left and the right end of the leaf. Later, roll up the leaf tightly from the bottom to the top.
- Take a pan, place sarma in it, and repeat the same process for other vine leaves. Moreover, make sure that yaprak sarma is placed close to each other in the pan. However, if they are too close, the rolls may open while cooking.
- If the pan’s bottom has been filled, the next sarma can be placed on top of the others.
- When you are done with all the dolmas, take a lemon and cut it into slices. Put the slices on top of the dolmas and a plate, turning it upside down on top of that. This won’t allow the sarmas from opening while boiling.
- Mix the boiling water with a tablespoon of tomato and a stock cube. Pour the water in a cooking pot until the plate is just underwater. Now place the cooking pot on the stove and let it boil.
- Allow the sarmas to simmer for about 45 minutes on low heat. Make sure to use a bigger pan because the sarmas will get bigger while boiling because the rice increase in volume when cooked.
- Finally, turn off the heat and leave the sarmas in the pan with a lid on for about 30 minutes.
In short, Yaprak Dolma/Sarma is a traditional Turkish dish and is consumed all over the world. If you also want to try this recipe from the comfort of your home, follow the instructions provided above. We hope you will enjoy this dish.
If you have tried this recipe before, don’t forget to provide your valuable feedback about this Turkish dish in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you.