Have you ever heard about a Turkish meal that is cooked traditionally in a clay pot? Can you guess the name? Yes, I am talking about Testi Kebab or pottery kebab. A delicious meal after a long hectic day that will drive you to an entirely new world!
Enjoying a good stew of meat (lamb, chicken, or beef), tomatoes, and veggies (carrots, potatoes) after a hectic week is one of the perfect ideas, agreed? Endless treat and a delicious meal for the family, isn’t it?
If you are going to visit turkey, this is the perfect go-to meal for every tourist. How could you treat yourself to this delicious meal if you’re living outside Turkey?
We’ve got you covered. Let’s prepare this delicious meal by following Shahram Kyani’s recipe.
Before looking into the recipe ingredients and instructions, let’s learn about this meal, how Turkish restaurants are preparing it, and then move into details on preparing this tantalizing meal at home.
What is Testi Kebab?
Traditionally, Turkish restaurants prepare this meal in a sealed clay oven. Before leaving the pot into the oven, it is carefully packed with bread dough and then cooked for hours in its own juices. The pot is cracked in front of customers to remove the lid. Isn’t it cool?
This tasty treat is a must-try recipe. The stew arrived blazing hot and is tender and gloriously rich inside.
Two years back, trying this spectacle for the first time urged the desire to prepare this at home. That’s the reason I am here to share easy testi kebab by the famous chef, Shahram Kyani. A simple dish to cook in the kitchen!!!
You might be wondering could you need to buy a clay pot to prepare this recipe. No, you don’t need to buy a jar to achieve tasty results. You can prepare this recipe even in an ovenproof casserole dish.
You can either use an electric oven or gas oven for cooking this traditional Turkish meal in the comfort of your home. Just follow the recipe and prepare this meal for your loved ones. What a blessing in today’s busy routine!!!
Now it’s time to unveil the recipe. So are you ready?
- 1/2 kg chicken, lamb, or beef
- 1 big onion, cut into cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 green bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Dried or fresh thyme for flavoring
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the electric oven to 150 degrees C.
- Add the meat and veggies to a big mixing bowl. Now, add seasonings (paprika, pepper, thyme, and salt). Mix all the ingredients well.
- Brush olive oil into a casserole dish. Make sure not to fill the ingredients to the top of the plate. The space between ingredients will help the steam to build and move around.
- Add the marinated meat chunks and veggies to the casserole dish. Add 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic. If you’re preparing it with chicken, avoid adding water, as it cooked quickly in its juices; however, if you are using lamb meat or beef, add 1/2 cup water.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil paper but make a tiny hole in the center of foil to let a little steam escape out of the plate.
- Please place it in the preheated oven and let it cook slowly. If you’re using chicken, the cooking time will be around 1 hour; however, the lamb and beef meat may take about 2+1/2 hours or until the meat is done.
- Serve hot. Prepare this meal in the next friend’s get together to treat your guests with the aromatic meal that they might not have tried before.
- Serve with bread or rice and hummus or thick yogurt.
Make sure to marinate the meat at least 4 hours before the final preparation or leave it overnight for fabulous results. Serve it with boiled rice or make a green salad and serve with bread. Have you ever tried the testi kebab recipe before? Please let us know what you love about this recipe. Any questions or suggestions are welcomed.