Ever tried delicious Khoresh-e Fesenjan? Do you know how to make this yummy stew at your home? If not, then this article is with reading for you. So, stay tuned to us and read this blog until the end. Let’s discover what Khoresh-e-Fesenjan is and how you can prepare it for yourself.
You will find plenty of beautiful red and ripe pomegranate available in the market during the fall season, which means it is the perfect time to make Fesenjān.
What is Khoresh-e-Fesenjan?
Khoresh-e-Fesenjoon is a flavory and delicious Persian pomegranate walnut stew. This chicken stew with made using walnut and pomegranate sauce offers a comforting taste. It is best for colder months as it makes you feel warm and cozy inside.
Fesenjoon is a delicious recipe that combines two superfoods, i.e., pomegranate and walnuts. These foods are incredibly nutritious and offer appetizing taste when used to make Fesenjoon.
Khoresh-e-Fesenjan is usually made with chicken; however, it offers a great taste even with lamb and duck. It is traditionally served over saffron rice.
Chicken pieces are initially browned and then slowly cooked in the toasted walnut sauce and pomegranate molasses. Walnut and pomegranate sauce might seem awkward to you, but believe me, it offers a perfect combination.
Khoresh-e-Fesenjan Recipe by Shahram Kyani
There can be many methods for preparing Khoresh-e-Fesenjan. Still, your favorite chef Shahram Kyani has come up with an easy and unique way of preparing this delicious dish. Following Shahram Kyani’s recipe to make this dish will make the process easier and enhance its taste.
Shahram Kyani is a passionate food blogger who invites you to enjoy the uniqueness of Persian food at his restaurant named Shishlix. He guarantees you will have an everlasting experience with him.
Here is a complete recipe to prepare Fesenjan from the comfort of your home.
Following is a list of ingredients required to prepare Khoresh-e-Fesenjan
- Yellow onions (chopped, 2)
- Unsalted butter (2 tbsp.)
- Extra virgin olive oil (3 tbsp.)
- Pomegranate molasses (5 tbsp.)
- Walnut halves (1/2 pounds)
- Boneless skinless chicken things or breasts (2 lbs., trimmed of excess fat, medium-sized pieces, patted dry and salted)
- Chicken stock (2 cups)
- Sugar (2 tbsp.)
- Turmeric (1/2 tsp.)
- Cinnamon (1/4 tsp.)
- Ground nutmeg (1/4 tsp.)
- Ground black pepper (1/4 tsp.)
- Salt (As per taste)
- Pomegranate arils (1/2 cup, for garnish)
Note: You can make pomegranate molasses by simmering 1 cup of pomegranate juice until it reduces to 5tbsp syrup.
Let’s Prepare Khoresh-e-Fesenjan
- First of all, you have to toast and grind the walnuts. This can be done in two different ways. Either spread them using a single layer in a large skillet and then toast them on medium heat. Keep stirring until they are lightly toasted or spread them as a single layer in baking rimmed and toast at 350-degree F in an oven for about 10 minutes.
- Now remove the heat and allow them to cool. Once they are cool to handle, pulse them in a food processor or a blender.
- Take a large pan and add 1 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. of olive oil in it. Heat it over medium-high heat. When the butter melts, pat the chicken pieces dry and place them in the pan. Cook them till they turned golden brown from all sides. Sprinkle the chicken with salt while cooking.
- When the chicken turns golden, use the tongs to remove it from the pan and set it aside. Add one tablespoon of butter and 1 tbsp. of oil in the pan. Reduce heat. Add chopped onions in the pan and sauté until translucent. Moreover, keep on stirring occasionally to release browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Now place the chicken pieces in the pan along with onions. Pour 2 cups of chicken stock over chicken onions. Let it boil, cover and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- Now add ground walnuts, sugar, pomegranate molasses, and spices. Cover the cooking pan and let it simmer on low heat for one hour. Keep on stirring after every 15 minutes so that walnuts do not stick at the bottom of the pan.
- When ready, remove the pan from heat and adjust the salt/sugar as per your taste. Make sure that the chicken gets tender.
Garnish the dish with some pomegranate seeds. Serve with your favorite rice. Enjoy!!!
We hope you like this Khoresh-e-Fesenjan recipe made by Shahram Kyani. If you want to make this delicious recipe from the comfort of your home, follow the instructions given above. We guarantee you will have an everlasting experience and make this food again and again for your loved ones.