Iskender kebab is a famous Turkish meat dish named after Iskender Effendi, who is its nineteenth-century inventor. Generally, kebabs are a specialty of Middle Eastern, Turkish, Pakistani, and Indian cultures. Still, when you talk about meat on a skewer, that too with alternating pieces of vegetables, then the word kebab gains a broader sense and covers many grilled meat dishes.
If you are an avid meat lover, you will undoubtedly love this dish. It’s aroma, taste, presentation; in fact, everything will leave you mouth-watering and finger-licking.
What is Iskender Kebab?
In particular, if we talk about Iskender kebab, it is a doner-style kebab, a famous Turkish dish of seasoned meat stacked in an inverted cone style. It is turned on a vertical rotisserie so that it can be roasted quickly. Iskender is usually considered as the king of Turkish kebabs.
The history of Iskender kebab dates back to 1867, where it was started as a Doner Kebab by Iskender Efendi in Bursa, a famous city in Turkey.
Iskender kebab is a special type of donor kebab found in almost all famous restaurants across the globe. If you visit a restaurant and find Doner Kebab on its menu, you will undoubtedly find Iskender kebab on the list as well.
Can I Make Iskender Kebab at Home?
You might be thinking, is it necessary to visit a restaurant and find Iskender kebab there to satisfy my meat cravings, or is there any other option? Don’t worry. There is necessarily a better option available.
Well, you can undoubtedly make delicious Iskender kebab at home. Still, it is difficult to replicate the exact donor-style cooking at home unless you have a spit. I know most families won’t have it, so there is no need to worry. You can replicate the process by using cooked lamb shank or other roasted pieces of lamb.
You will need to slice the meat into very thin pieces, so the ideal option is to start with a well-cooked and refrigerated pieced lamb. Slicing will become more comfortable when you use cold meat.
Making your favorite dish from the comfort of your home is always a good option. Not only because it’s economical but also because it offers a better taste when made at home. Above all, it is hygienic as you have made it with your hands.
Iskender Kebab Recipe
Wondering how to make it at home? Worry no more. We are here to help you. Following is a complete recipe to make Iskender kebab in your kitchen. So, stay attached to us and read follow the instructions given below to make delicious and yummy Iskender kebab from your home.
Here is a complete list of ingredients to make delicious Iskender kebab for yourself and your loved ones.
- Pita or naan bread (2 rounds)
- Lamb shank (¼ pound, thinly sliced)
- Unsalted butter (2 tbsp)
- Tomato (1, seeded and diced)
- Tomato sauce (½ cup)
- Greek-style yogurt (½ cup)
- Salt and black pepper (As per taste)
Follow the instructions given below to prepare delicious Iskender kebabs at your home.
- Slice the cooled lamb into thin slices. Make them as thin as possible.
- Take a large sauté pan or a cast-iron skillet. Add butter to it.
- Sauté lamb slices in this pan (containing butter) until they get warmed thoroughly
- When done, place the warmed lamb over the naan or pita bread (whichever you are using).
- Now, add the seeded and diced tomatoes in the pan containing butter and sauté it for about one minute.
- Now add tomato sauce. Continue stirring until warmed thoroughly.
- Season it with black pepper and salt as per your taste requirements
- Pour this tomato mixture over the lamb.
- Finally, top it with Greek-style yogurt. That’s it. Your Iskender kebab is ready.
- Serve or enjoy warm.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe. Give it a try. We guarantee you will enjoy the taste of this delicious dish. Almost all meat lovers enjoy its aroma and are quite happy with the taste. You can also treat your spouse with this delightful and yummy version of kebabs. They will enjoy it as well. If you are still experiencing any problem, get in touch with us through the comments section.